Sunday, May 15, 2011

Teahouse Not For Sale


ou would have to admit that some people are knocking on the wrong door if they think that my business is up for sale soon as I announce my retirement in public. They can do all the scurrying and scampering they like.  But I shall maintain my unwavering steadfast and stay aloof from their clamour because I just don’t sell. Some carry on as if they are about to swoop on a fallen body ever ready to cherry pick the carcass best parts. This is indeed a shameful sight

 Running a small establishment and particularly staying afloat in a small business nowadays is not exactly an easy task what with your quarterly gst, paperworks, annual return, insurance . bureaucratic intrusions and such likes. It is not like as if you are owning a goldmine, a BHP Billington,a  Rio Tinto or such. But why do we still have people out there dreaming of easy money shortcuts and all that. I suppose if people are mercenary they are born to be that way, mercenarial like any soldier of fortune seeing everything in terms of dollars and cents amorally. If you think you are in for an easy sail in this business you must be in a wrong game.

Talking of shortcuts. I know some shonky mediocre operators are more likely than not to use the method most of the time to achieve a higher profit margin. After a while this habit becomes compulsory and eventually becomes essential part of their ‘cutting-cost’ regime. This is but usually done  at the expense of the quality of their products and services though they may try to camouflage it in one form or another.

You have to realise not everybody is of the same. When I came over to Australia at the age of sixteen I came alone not as a migrant but as a High School student straight from a Boarding school and got embedded to a chosen ‘Australian family’ and since then I rubbed shoulder to shoulder along with friends in sport field school and at 'home'. The people that show interest in my business may  not exactly be the same. They may come with their vast cultural divide and and perhaps a  language barrier. They may also bring forth their family into business.  There is nothing wrong in that. For after all everyone has his or her family’s livelihood to be concern with. But it is only when they decide to trade under my name and my menu and dishes and found out that they couldn’t do what I have done then they may just turn around and sue me in court for a case of fraudulent misrepresentation. 

In any case I had already exercised my exit clause and not sign for a further term of contract. Literally and legally speaking I cannot sell my business if I wanted to. Blissfully I shall be looking forward  to my retirement and a new lease of life without going through the complications of yet another new terms of lease, a sale contract as well grooming the new incomers on top of all these. Only this way shall I keep my dignity and my self-respect over my thirty odd years of honest labour intact. My history is not for sale. I am certainly not for sale. My self-respect is not for sale. My personal freedom is not for sale. They can never be purchased and they will never be on the market. I am just what I am my own person. 



Dom's Teahouse Restaurant  is closing down . Our Last Trading Night being the  29th of may but This blog will stay

No comments: